Kardinia Park Precinct
Kardinia Park Precinct History
Kardinia Park was first proclaimed as a public park in May 1872 by the Commissioner of Crown Lands. Then known as Chilwell Flat the new park was 24-hectares in size.
1872 saw Kardinia Park adopted as the name, with ‘Kardinia’ meaning ‘Sunrise’ in the aboriginal language.
The park originally stretched north to Kilgour Street until the extension of the Geelong railway to Winchelsea in 1876 isolated the north-east corner. This area was then sold for housing.
The park even hosted a Zoo for a few years after 1903 containing ducks, swans, peacocks, kangaroos, deer and monkeys. The Zoo closed at a date that remains unknown.
Kardinia Park Venue Information
The Kardinia Park Precinct covers an area of approximately 28,300 square meters and is inclusive of a number of different areas and equipment to cater for a variety of different activities. The Park is incredibly family friendly and includes the following:
- Simonds Stadium,
- Geelong Cricket Ground,
- West Kardinia Oval,
- Kardinia Park Netball Complex,
- Legends Plaza,
- Kardinia Aquatic Centre,
- Kardinia Senior Citizens Centre,
- Playgrounds and a fitness station,
- A family friendly BBQ area,
- Passive Recreation Spaces, and;
- Pedestrian Footpaths
Within the Park there are also a number of tenants that utilise these facilities on a day-to-day basis. The tenants of Kardinia Park include:
- Geelong Football Club,
- Geelong Cricket Club,
- Geelong Central Netball Association,
- Geelong Football Umpires League,
- Geelong Swimming Club, and;
- St. Mary’s Football Netball Club
The Ed Blakiston Memorial Fountain
The beautiful fountain was dedicated to the memory of Ed Blakiston by the Geelong Women’s Basketball Association (GWBBA) in May 1953.
Mr Blakiston was one of the founders of the Geelong Women’s Basketball Association and was closely associated with basketball activities and competitions for many years prior.
The fountain was proudly funded by the GWBBA and was donated to the Kardinia Park Committee and Greater Geelong City Council.