Community at the heart of new Kardinia Park Group
A new group will work with the local community to ensure that the Kardinia Park precinct remains accessible and open to all.
Minister for Sport, The Hon John Eren MP announced a new Kardinia Park Advisory Committee, which will ensure that grassroots sport and the local community have a stronger voice during the transformation of Kardinia Park.
The Committee includes 11 local sport, community and council representatives, with their primary responsibility being to assist the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust develop a ‘Master Plan’ to govern all the land outside of the Stadium. The committee will also be kept up to date with the Stage 5 redevelopment plan for the Northern End of the Stadium as it evolves over the coming months.
“Kardinia Park is a spiritual home for Geelong – and these appointments ensure that GMHBA Stadium is, and always will be, the People’s ground.” Minister for Sport The Hon John Eren MP said.
“Whether it’s hosting the AFL Masters National Carnival, or providing the best rehabilitation services at the new Sunrise Centre – the Kardinia Park precinct belongs to the entire community.”
The Committee will also help steer the future direction of the Trust and make recommendations to ensure it continues to serve the entire Geelong community.
In May, the landmark $90 million Stage 4 redevelopment of GMHBA Stadium was completed, including a new 6,500 seat Brownlow Stand, office space for the Trust and the Sunrise Centre – dedicated to providing rehabilitation services to the community.
Work on Stage 5 has already begun, with the Labor Government investing $3.9 million in the Victorian Budget 2017/18 to kick-start planning and design works.
Michael Malouf, Chair of the Trust, welcomed the establishment of the advisory committee.
“The transformation over the past year has been incredible and the next year will be even more exciting. The committee will play a crucial role in making sure we get it right.”
The Kardinia Park Advisory Committee had its first meeting in September and will continue to meet bi-monthly.
The Committee members include:
- Simon Guthrie, Chair, Kardinia Park Stadium Trust member
- Lucy Anstee, Treasurer, Kardinia Senior Citizens Centre
- Michael Brown, CEO Kardinia Park Stadium Trust
- Sue Clark, Geelong Football Club
- Elizabeth Coles, Geelong Central Netball Association
- Fiona Greig, St Mary’s Sporting Club
- Cameron Loftus, CEO Barwon Sports Academy, representing the tenants of Sports House
- Brett Luxford, City of Greater Geelong
- Linda Quinn, City of Greater Geelong
- Michael Vines, Geelong Cricket Club
- Jenny Wood, Geelong Football Umpires Association